Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Eva Mozes Kor

As a little history to this, let me back up by saying that this whole endeavor started with NetFlix. Yeah, you read that correctly, NetFlix. For the last year or so, I've had a love affair with NetFlix and it's documentary selection. About four months or so ago, I watched a documentary entitled "Forgiving Dr. Mengele." I was so moved by it. Thoughts of it entered my mind almost every day.

The story was about a woman named Eva Mozes Kor, who is a survivor of the Holocaust. She and her twin sister Miriam were victims of Dr. Mengele's cruel experiments on twins. Her story of suffering and loss is incomprehensible. But it is her story of forgiveness that is as unimaginable.

This woman who has every right to live a life full of anger, hate, and bitterness toward the world and all those who wronged and tortured her, lives a life full of the opposite. She went on to offer a declaration of forgiveness to those who did unspeakable things to her during the Holocaust. And she now lives her life spreading a message of the need to forgive one another. She states that forgiving is the best gift a victim can give themselves, as it frees them. They are no longer tied to the one who hurt them.

If you get the chance, check out her documentary "Forgiving Dr. Mengele." She also has two books out; I recommend "Echoes From Auschwitz." You can also read more about her story of survival, her mission of forgiveness and much more by going to her website... http://www.candlesholocaustmuseum.org/

So long story short, I saw the documentary and was so moved by it and just had the most overwhelming impression that I needed to get in contact with this woman. So I did. She agreed to meet with me at the museum she runs in Terre Haute, Indiana. And before I knew it, tickets were booked and my mom, brother and I were heading out to Indy for the experience of a lifetime...

Here are some pictures from my travels...

I was taking pictures of everything as I wanted to document every detail of the journey. So here you've got the freeway exit sign for Terre Haute...

Here is the actual building...The CANDLES Holocaust Museum

We sat with Eva and she talked with us for more than two and a half hours. I was captivated by everything she said. She is full of such determination, and humor, and insight. Something she said to me during our discussion that I thought was worthy of sharing was, "I believe that the world wants to know that there are a lot of terrible things that happen, but that you as a victim, as a bystander, as a human being, you have a choice...you can take the power to rule your own life and make your life what you want it to be, that is an important thing. And [the knowledge of us having that choice and that power] is desperately needed."


My brother, my mom, and I with one of the most incredible human beings I've ever encountered...Eva Mozes Kor


My mom and I with Walter...A German Jew who was able to flee the country before the war began. He is the sweetest man.

This was the scene as we were leaving Terre Haute and heading back to Indianapolis...it summed up perfectly the way that I felt...so very enlightened.

What?! A Sonic in Terre Haute?! What a perfect ending to a perfect day...

 ~~~
"There were about 1 million people who went through Auschwitz and some how survived. And that to me is important. Isn't there a lesson? That even all the misery and all the cruelty could not completely defeat all the people's human spirit. And that is important to know. I can show you endless numbers of people who have survived unbelievable things--there are times when they look back and they ask themselves 'How on earth did I do that?' We are a lot stronger than we think that we are." -Eva Mozes Kor
~~~

2 comments:

  1. Okay, your trip sounds so amazing. And could those photos be ANY cuter? Those quotes are really very powerful and inspiring.

    Oh, yeah, it's pretty far south in Indiana, so there are Sonics, but as you go north they get really few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should think about joining Eva on her trip to Poland and then to Romania to visit her village. June 28th is when we leave - Return around July 15th.

    You can do Poland by itself, Romania by itself or both together. Visit the museum website for details!

    ReplyDelete