Sunday, March 27, 2011

No Day But Today...

The follow is a quote that I fell in love with the minute I read it...

"I expect to pass through the world but once. Any good, therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

I have always been conscious of the fact that life is short and precious and that we must seize and fully live each moment. I came to this awareness much earlier than most, as my dad died when I was just 8 years old. I saw first hand that life often hands us the unexpected and we can be 'called home' at any moment, without warning.

And so from that time forward I have gone on to live my life trying to live each day, to the fullest. Though I am not the best at it, I am constantly reminding myself to be present, to be in the moment, for I won't be able to go back and get it. Once the moment, or day, or year is gone, it is gone. We cannot go back, only forward.

I have always had a strong belief that part of my life's purpose is to help people. I am not sure how exactly I am to go about doing this. Perhaps it is in the little things, in the simple acts of service I can offer. And so I will go forward trying my best to see and then fulfill the little opportunities God provides for me each day. If I can make someone's life a little easier, their burden a little lighter, their day a little better...

I love this song sung by Idina Menzel called "No Day But Today." It sums up so well the fact that we can live no day but the one we are in. We can't go back, and if we choose to live in the past and regrets, we will miss out on so much of life. If we want to make a change in ourselves, there is only one who can make it happen, and that would be us. There is no better day than today to start making a difference, to make this world a better place...

(Sorry this one has a little extra chit-chat on the end, but it was the one with the best quality for sure.)

There is no day but today, and in it, let us do as much good and help as many as we can for we will not pass this way, or perhaps that person, again...

No comments:

Post a Comment