Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Plan For The New Me...

Everyone is blabbering on about their New Year's resolutions...oh wait, that is what I am about to do too...oopsy poopsy...

But this year I really am committed. No, really, I am. Especially after my little reality slap the other night with my road rage. (see the post above)

I've got a friend who is absolutely amazing. She is more like Jesus than anyone I think I've ever met. And I tell her this all the time. She tells me that she is far from perfect and that I just don't know her well enough. I respond by telling her that I know her plenty well enough, and that what I know what I am talking about! None of us are perfect, we all have our shortcomings, but the powerful goodness that radiates from this friend is undeniable. She is one of those people that make you want to be better just by being around her. Her words and her deeds are consistently kind and loving.

I told her about my little escapade and said, "That is something that you would have never even thought to do! You wouldn't have even had the thought to flip out and flip the guy off!" Nope. No she wouldn't have.

And so, enter my resolution...to be more like this friend of mine. To have a little something called self control. Yes I may have these thoughts, but I'm going to do my best not to act on them. You may honk at me or cut me off in traffic, and I now will use the sign language for "I love you" or "Have a delightful day" instead of  telling people where to stick it... And as I encounter the difficult to love along my path throughout the day, instead of wanting to kill them or thinking of ways to do so, as I may normally do, I shall 'kill them with kindness.' I'm going to seek out the positive and accentuate it...

(To aid in my success maybe I should start by sporting mittens to prevent the hand gestures, and pray for laryngitis to keep the words I speak kind or inaudible just until I get the hang of it...No self, you can do this...You think you can, you think you can...)

Wish me luck as I begin this resolution and journey to better myself. If I am successful it's gonna be a good day in my neighborhood.Oh boy, here I go...

~~~
"My choice of friends has helped keep me straight. I have had friends who expected me to be good, and I have tried not to disappoint them." 
-Camilla Eyring Kimball
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment