Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Faith vs Fear


I have been thinking a lot about fear and faith...

Something I heard quite some time ago was this: "Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real".

Fear prevents us from doing a lot of things in life. It can be paralyzing. It can be so intense and so real, that it keeps us from progressing or succeeding or reaching for and obtaining our goals and dreams. Fear is like a rapid growing weed that can quickly put a choke-hold on our faith.

There are so many examples of people throughout time that acted first with faith. Sure there might have been some fear and apprehension in their soul, but their faith was stronger, and they acted first with that.

I think of Peter and Jesus...As Jesus walked across the storm tossed sea toward Peter in the boat, Peter wanted to do what his Master was doing. Jesus bid him come. And with that Peter steps off of the ship and onto the water. This right here shows that he acted first with faith. He had enough faith to take the leap off of the safety and surety of the buoyant boat. Then using more faith, he takes a few steps toward Jesus. Here I would like to insert the words of Howard W Hunter: "While [Peter's] eyes were fixed upon the Lord, the wind might toss his hair and the spray might drench his robes, but all was well. Only when with wavering faith he removed his glance from the Master to look at the furious waves and the black gulf beneath him, only then did he begin to sink." And I quickly add the verse found in the bible that accompanies this story; "And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

There are plenty of things in life that distract us and try to inflict doubt and fear. The adversary uses fear as one of his greatest tools to get us to take our eyes off of the Savior, our source of love and perfect peace. Because that love, casteth out fear (1 John 4:18). It is my own personal feeling that as Jesus reached out and caught Peter, it was with great compassion. He must have been pleased that Peter had enough faith to step off of the boat and take a few steps, but He must have also been a bit saddened that Peter doubted His ability to assist him in continuing to take those steps across the water.

A little bit after this story, we find an acknowledgment of our being mortal: "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."(Hebrews 10:31) And then a gentle but necessary command: "Cast not away...your confidence."(Hebrews 10:35)

We know these things are true, and we know that we should trust our Father in Heaven and Savior, but we are mortal, and we doubt and at times are prideful and think we somehow know better. But He always knows better, because He knows all.

So I am making a commitment in my life. I am going to try and act first with faith. Though I might be afraid, I am going to try and do as Peter did...when He calls, when He beckons me come, though the way might be new and unknown and frightening at first, I am going to trust. I am going to take the leap of faith off of the boat and take as many steps as I can across the water. And if I stumble, if I fall, I know that He will be there to immediately catch me, and lovingly pull me up and teach me so that my faith may be strengthened for my next go on the stormy sea of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment