Sunday, July 11, 2010

Helping Hands


I read an article from the Associated Press last night that broke my heart.(I know it is shocking to think that I started crying while reading yet another news piece.) But this really got me. It was about Haiti and that 6 months post-earthquake you still have thousands upon thousands of people who are homeless, hungry, and hopeless.


The immediate feeling of my heart is that I want to get on a plane and go help these people. And then the thought comes to me, that there are people all around me in my own community, in my own state, that are in need as well.

It is more than my mind can process to think that this is going on in the world. The suffering...The lacking...The need...

The headlines are covered with the latest NBA news of who is signing with what team and for what astronomical dollar amount. Frankly, it is disgusting. It sickens me to think that we are paying guys tens of millions of dollars a season to bounce a basketball. It is no different in any other sport. Millions of dollars are tossed around and used to purchase fancy sports cars and palatial homes and unnecessary odds and ends like $500 thousand dollar jewelry.

It just doesn't seem right to me. It doesn't seem right that this kind of money and spending can go on and there are homeless shelters and food pantries and schools that are all having to close their doors because there just isn't enough funding.

There is need all around us. There are countless opportunities to give and serve and bless lives. And no, we all don't have large amounts of money to donate, but we can donate our time. Time to causes like Habitat For Humanity.
www.habitat.org Or to the local Food Bank.

So no, we might not be able to help everyone, but we can help someone. Start in your own community. I love the saying, "Think global, act local." As we act locally, we make this world a bit better one community at a time, which in turn makes this world a better place.

You can make a difference, all you have to do is act...


No comments:

Post a Comment